Saturday 31 January 2015

Keeping me humble

I have a humble upbringing. 

My dad was a truck driver who managed to bring up all this 6 children with a midget salary. We grew up without much luxury but were happy. Fortunately, all his kids did well academically and now living well.

Not having much money when you grew up can be difficult but it made you tough. More importantly, it kept you humble.

It is because we were humble that prompt us to seek knowledge earnestly and getting us better grades. Not because we were smarter.

It is because we were humble that we took up jobs or challenges that others shun and thus, opening up new opportunities. Not because we were luckier.

However, successes do can make us lost our humility. We demand, we criticize and we look down on less successful people around us.

This may not happen to you (congratulation). I know I have became very arrogant over the years.
Which is why, every year I need to make effort to stay humble.

I took up Taxi Driver Vocational License to re-learn how to serve people.

I took up Bus Driver Vocational License to understand their stresses and happiness.

I took up Class 4 License classes so that I can experience the hardship of the truck drivers.

For all these courses, I was taught by people (Taxi drivers, Bus drivers, Truck drivers) who are deem (by society standard) to be less successful, less capable. Every time, I walked away with new respect for them, make new friends and very happy.

This year, I decided to raise fund for Club Rainbow. 

Fund raising requires one to step out of his comfort zone, being judge by others (especially on your intention), to ask / beg for donation, be creative etc. More importantly you need to serve. It is a very humbling experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment